Listed below are ten substantive procedures:
1. Review the company-prepared bank reconciliation.
2. Obtain the company’s depreciation rates from the financial statements and check they have been applied correctly.
3. Perform accounts receivable circularisation.
4. Review a sample of repairs and maintenance expenditure for the year to ensure that it does not include any items that are capital in nature.
5. Ensure that all contingent liabilities have been included in the notes to the accounts.
6. Send a letter to the bank to confirm a loan taken out by the company during the year.
7. Review all invoices received for one month after the year-end to ensure that they do not relate to the current year.
8. Select a sample of non-current assets and sight them.
9. Select a sample of invoices and ensure that they have been properly recorded in the sales ledger.
10. Review the adequacy of the company’s allowance for doubtful debts.
(a) For each test, indicate what type of substantive procedure to which it relates (analytical review, tests of details of balances or tests of details of transactions).
(b) Give an assertion (ONLY ONE) to which each test relates and explain why.