- In the 2016 election, Democratic candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton won the national popular vote by 2.9 million votes. However, due to the mechanics of the Electoral College, Republican candidate Donald Trump gained 304 Electoral College votes, thus winning the election. There was brief outrage among the Democrats, but the debate over the Electoral College Quickly faded away.
Using the sources below, write a minimum three-to-four paragraphs answering the given question/s:
First: To start (Introduction)
- In presenting your argument make sure to demonstrate how the Electoral College actually works
Second: Body, when answering the questions cite the given sources as examples and facts to support your argument
- Watching both videos in this assignment, what are the strongest arguments for and against the Electoral College in its present form?
- Should the Electoral college be scrapped in favor of a direct popular vote, or re-engineered to make it more consistent with the popular vote?
Finally: Conclusion,Considering these factors while developing your position
- Is the Electoral College consistent with democratic principles or is it an obsolete institution contrary to democratic principles?