1. Select a goods-producing organization and a service-providing organization of your choice. Suggest ways each organization can make aggregate planning decisions using the variables described in Exhibit 13.3 in the textbook, OM.
Compare and contrast the operational and managerial impacts of the aggregate planning decisions in terms of customer satisfaction.
2. Analyze the importance of production planning and scheduling within an organization. Evaluate a bad experience you have had with an appointment from the perspectives of the customer (you) and the organization with regard to inefficient planning and scheduling.
- Analyze the experience you provided from a process perspective. Suggest ways the schedules could have been designed to be more efficient and effective.
3. Select two fast food restaurants and evaluate them in terms of service quality. Suggest ways to improve the service quality.
- Evaluate the two fast-food restaurants in terms of the “Seven QC tools” discussed in Chapter 15 of textbook, OM. Determine the top three QC tools that tend to be most valuable to business owners. Explain your rationale.
4. Compare and contrast the lean service system found within Southwest Airlines to a full-service airline such as United Airlines, British Airways, and other large carriers in terms of cabin service, boarding process, baggage handling, and service encounters.
- Recommend ways for the airline carriers to improve their lean operation systems in terms of speed and quality while reducing waste and costs. Explain your rationale.