ACC 423 Assignment Solution
Charles Austin of the controllers office of Thompson Corporation was given the assignment of determining the basic and diluted earnings per share values for the year ending December 31, 2013. Austin has compiled the information listed below.
1. The company is authorized to issue 7,896,000 shares of $10 par value common stock. As of December 31, 2012, 1,974,000 shares had been issued and were outstanding.
2. The per share market prices of the common stock on selected dates were as follows.
3. A total of 722,400 shares of an authorized 1,414,800 shares of convertible preferred stock had been issued on July 1, 2012. The stock was issued at its par value of $25, and it has a cumulative dividend of $3 per share. The stock is convertible into common stock at the rate of one share of convertible preferred for one share of common. The rate of conversion is to be automatically adjusted for stock splits and stock dividends. Dividends are paid quarterly on September 30, December 31, March 31, and June 30.
4. Thompson Corporation is subject to a 40% income tax rate.
5. The after-tax net income for the year ended December 31, 2013, was $11,840,000.
1. January 1A 5% common stock dividend was issued. The dividend had been declared on December 1, 2012, to all stockholders of record on December 29, 2012.
2. April 1A total of 399,600 shares of the $3 convertible preferred stock was converted into common stock. The company issued new common stock and retired the preferred stock. This was the only conversion of the preferred stock during 2013.
3. July 1A 2-for-1 split of the common stock became effective on this date. The board of directors had authorized the split on June 1.
4. August 1A total of 278,400 shares of common stock were issued to acquire a factory building.
5. November 1A total of 26,900 shares of common stock were purchased on the open market at $9 per share. These shares were to be held as treasury stock and were still in the treasury as of December 31, 2013.
6. Common stock cash dividendsCash dividends to common stockholders were declared and paid as follows.
April 15$0.30 per share
October 15$0.20 per share
7. Preferred stock cash dividendsCash dividends to preferred stockholders were declared and paid as scheduled.
(a) Determine the number of shares used to compute basic earnings per share for the year ended December 31, 2013. (Round answer to 0 decimal places, e.g. 1,500.)